
Last night was not fun. We put Seth down around 7pm, which is the time he gets tired. We rocked him a little, gave him his pacifier and I stroked his face until he looked like he was going to fall asleep. Usually we have to go back in his room a few times to put the pacifier back in because he wakes up as soon as it falls out. Last night was no exception. I was determined not to bring him in bed with us, as I have been doing, just to try to get some sleep (all of us).
Well, it was miserable. I had to go in his room to get the pacifier just about every hour of the night. No one got any sleep. I told Evan that this can't continue. So after Seth's 4:30 bottle, I put him back down as I always do. This time I let him have his pacifier to start, but when he pulled it out or it dropped out, he would have to cry it out. This worked! About two minutes after putting him back down, he started to cry. I think it was about 5 minutes and the crying stopped and the boy slept for almost 4 hours straight through. He sleeps better without the stinkin pacifier! In fact, we all do!
So this morning I jumped online to google this issue. Over and over I read how mothers had the same exact issue and how they just had to get rid of the pacifier all together. They said it would be hard at first getting through the crying, but their children slept so much better and eventually got used to it. This makes sense to me, as I just experienced this myself.
So, today I am putting Seth down for naps without his pacifier. This morning's nap went rather smooth, he cried for five minutes and drifted off. This next nap took more effort. He cried for a longer amount of time, but as of right now, I don't hear him. I know it's going to be tough to get through the crying, but I think it's worth it if we ALL can get some sleep at night, especially Seth. We'll at least give it a shot.
5 comments:
pacifiers....yeah...currently i have decided to only give it to her so she knows it is time to sleep, once she spits it out i don't put it back in. She dosen't really need it to sleep, but it does help right now if we are out and i need her to go to sleep. i can put the pacifier in and she usually falls right to sleep :) maybe it's a bad habit, but it works for me right now
glad you are all getting some sleep though! :)
i think i will start by doing the same. cold turkey seems harsh right now. i'm going to give it to him at the beginning, but once it's out, it's staying out.. the hardest part is getting through all the crying!
We are about ready to indure getting rid of the pacifier with Kendra. Since she has had her pacifier for 16 out of her 17 months of life it should be interesting. At 10 months old Ephriam threw his at us out of his crib, so it was easy to get rid of. I will keep you posted as to how well it goes.
The crying is the hardest part to get through but once you do you are glad that you did. My Aunt always tells me 3 bad nights and you should be golden but as a mom it hurts your heart big time.
isn't it amazing how you have motherly instincts??? I'm sure you never knew when the right time to stop the pacifer would be... but you know your kid and your family and now seems like the right time. That still amazes me how God works with in us to be great parents we just have to listen. He knows our hearts and what's best for our children.
Hope you enjoy your sleep. Btw...can we get an update :)
Post a Comment